Spring is the time of year when sellers and buyers gird up for what has traditionally been the most important season for buying or selling a home. The following are some ways to prepare:
- Sellers should be aware that there’s a lot of competition for buyers in the spring. That means sellers should do everything possible to differentiate their home from others, including the following:
- Dress the property by cleaning windows and floors, rake the yard, address the weeds, mow the lawn, and add flowers in containers.
- Wash blinds and curtains and have carpeting cleaned.
- If a seller has spent the winter renovating to sell, new pictures should be taken to show the renovated space to best advantage. Be sure to add the new information to the feature sheets and advertising of real estate agents.
- Store the dark linens and towels and add bright or pastel accents in baths and bedrooms.
Have a good idea of what type/size of property you’re seeking. This means structure and lot size. Also:
- Have a network of experts in place, such as a real estate agent, home inspector and mortgage broker. I have a team of proven professionals to choose from.
- Obtain a copy of your credit report. Check for errors and/or issues that need to be cleaned up.
- Approach several lenders for pre-approval. I have several to choose from.
- Decide, before shopping for a home, the most you’re prepared to pay, and resist the urge to pay more.